Monday, April 06, 2020

Lockdown Day 12: PB chick number three!

Plymouth barred in her re-purposed 'nuc'
Monday 6 April: OK Richard I was wrong! I said that once a chicken left her nest with her hatchlings then the remaining unhatched eggs would not (hatch that is). I was wrong. Went to feed the 'maternity coop' occupants and found a third chick. Apparently the mom must have continued to sit on the eggs even though they seem to be spread out somewhat. Anyway, I'm happy. Hopefully with being confined, as opposed to the normal free range wanderings of the rest of our chooks, the babies will be safe from hawks and Otto who has taken to running into the chooks and guinea fowl, but catching and killing a chick occasionally. As he doesn't do anything with them once they are dead I assume he is doing it for the fun of watching them scatter!!

Monday is shopping day and I was trying to find excuses not to go but decided I should stick to the routine. I probably could have got away with going but Mom and Daddy had a long list so... Despite being mid-afternoon the queue was the usual 10-15 minutes but the shopping was hard work. I had two lists as photos on my phone. I will get better organised next week and write them out as one before I go. I also tend to write my list in the same order as I find the products in the store (well as best I can, New World Matamata changed its layout during my broken leg 'isolation' and I still have yet to get to grips with it fully). Is that really anal??? I needed two trolleys to get said shopping to the car which I got help with. The assistant was relieved for an excuse to get out of the store, it was after all a beautiful day. Then everything had to be packed into bags as you can no longer take bags into the store. A further effort to reduce cross infection.

I drove home with Eric offering tea when I texted. My preference was for gin but being still afternoon as opposed to evening thought we had better go for our daily walk first - then a gin. This evenings walk (maybe I could have had the gin first. No. No. I was afternoon when we left) was extended beyond the usual 'one more lamppost' and I managed almost 2km. The last few hundred metres was bit of a struggle though with pain through the middle of the knee joint. We stopped for a long chat with Pam, a neighbour I haven't seen in many months, so the sun was setting by the time we were heading back. The sky was stunning and I have never seen its colours change so rapidly. This pink had virtually disappeared by the time we had taken another 20 paces.

A late supper of pork chops. God I love pork! Can't wait for the time we get pigs again and we started watching Deadwater Fells on TV1 On Demand, a real 'did he, didn't he'

As of 9am today: New cases 67. Recovered 176. Total 1,106. Deaths 1.
Matamata cluster total 58 cases.
Currently testing 2,846/day (7-day av). Total tests: 39,918.


No comments:

Post a Comment