Sunday, April 26, 2020

Lockdown Day 32: A not-so lazy Sunday

Sunday 26 April: A glorious day. I am running out of outdoor space to put seed trays (bearing in mind that the ground it out because of chickens). I had a couple of boxed cheap galvanised shelf units in the workshop so put one together which I will put next to the potting shed. No matter how many times counted spaces on the uprights I still managed to get a shelf lined up wrong - twice. I planted the last, and therefore smallest, of John's silverbeet and lettuce into pots in small clumps just to see what happens. I can give them away if they survive. I had 5 bulbs of garlic in the fridge that had started to sprout so stuck them in my alliums bed. Doubt they'll do much but won't know if I just chuck them in the compost.

Some of the veg plot resembles a dead forest with Jerusalem artichoke foliage close on 10' high so I pulled the last of them up. Between cabbage leaves, dead JA stalks and general tree trimmings I really need to take the quad and a large trailer round the place and collect everything up. It's perfect weather and my bonfire is huge but I thought we still had a fire ban. However, on talking to Richard and Robyn in our weekly video catch up Rich said that the ban was over and several fires were lit around their area. I have heard nothing and even checked the appropriate website  but there was nothing there. Apparently it was on the Matamata Community FB page. As a general principle of lockdown we should not be doing anything that could potentially generate 111 calls so I will be holding off fire burning until the winter I guess.


Three rows of carrots sown
I watched a video on the Roots and Refuge YouTube channel on a sure fire way to germinate carrot seeds which I tried. Planted a fish crop and all my old seeds. Same principle as the garlic!

Bl**dy Alice and her online Scrabble game. Totally addictive! We stopped for a break and a cup of tea this afternoon. Usually about 15 minutes and I was an hour playing Scrabble! Between Eric, Harriette and Alice I have five games on the go. It would be OK if they were busy and did not take their go straight away but.....

We had a spa this evening, first of the season and it was gorgeous. The evening mild, the skies clear, the Milky Way in it's full glory and a GnT in hand - absolute bliss. The two cabbage trees over the deck I bemoan the leaves falling from occludes a significant portion fo the sky. Another reason to take them out!

Finished the second series of Liar this evening. God it was a good one with so many twists and turns. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment