Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Lockdown Days 19-21

13 April: Easter Monday. Not a lot to report. Temperatures are dropping, rain has arrived and so the day was spent indoors cleaning and sewing. Started to make Eric's long sleeved shirts into short sleeved ones. Started watching The Capture. Gripping with so many twists. Makes you wonder what is really real in these days of CCTV.

Tuesday 14 April: Back to work for some. The University of Auckland has a holiday on Easter Tuesday so I don't start work until tomorrow. Intermittent rain and sunshine and much cooler today so I lit the Rayburn for the first time this year! Attacked the living room for a massive 'autumn' clean. Had to pop into town to pick up a script and get it dispensed. I'm putting off the weekly shop until Thursday when I have to take Otto in for his second toxo blood test.





Otto used to run off a lot. About a year ago I got a GPS tracker for him and although it was not terribly successful it did help a bit. Recently he lost his collar, luckily he was not wearing the tracer at the time, just the unit to hold it. When he got sick with Addison's Disease his roaming stopped but he has recently taken to an evening sojourn! Probably heads over the road to see his mate Jet on the stud, which is about .7km door-to-door. I duct-taped the tracker to him (not literally to him, I meant to his collar!) and we started closing the gate at the drive entrance again. He has been pretty good at coming back when called, particularly if I can track/catch him just before he leaves the property but often have to go out looking for him on the quad bike, especially if the signal drops. How he gets out has always been a mystery. He is no jumper and I could never see marks indicating he had slid under the gate. However, tonight when I went looking for him he was lying patiently on the wrong side of the gate. Here he is clearly waiting for me to open it! It took some persuading before he slid under to come back. At least now I know his escape route. Unfortunately the drive is slightly sloped so I can't attach anything to the bottom of the gate to stop this. I am at a loss as to what I can do.


Wednesday 15 April: End of third week of lockdown and around the world countries are talking about, or actually beginning, a reversal of the process. Denmark opened kindies (pre-schools) and Italy opened some shops. While it is fantastic that NZ has so few cases and deaths I do wonder about how we will cope with a return to normal. Almost no-one has any immunity and we know that people can be infectious while not symptomatic therefore can spread disease without knowing it.

Worked for a couple on the 0800 immune helpline today. I actually really enjoyed it!


As of 9am today: New cases 18 (our lowest daily increase in ages but less testing). Recovered 471. Total 1,330. Deaths 4. Matamata cluster total 70 cases (first day with no increase).
Current testing: yesterday 2,421 (less because of Easter). Total tests: 61,167.

No comments:

Post a Comment