Saturday, April 25, 2020

Lockdown Day 31: Anzac Day

Saturday 25 April: This morning we would normally have been at a dawn parade. ANZAC Day's commemoration services are traditionally held at dawn to mark the time the Gallipoli campaign started on this day in 1917. It would have been a beautiful sunrise under which to observe it as we have had another gorgeous autumnal day. Really foggy mornings followed by lots of blue skies.

I cleaned our cedar wood spa and refilled it (bore water so allowed with current town water restrictions!) and had a general clean up of the pool deck. My collected pile of fallen cabbage tree leaves is huge so I must take them down to the bonfire, which we cannot light (national fire ban still in place). We have two big cabbage trees on the bank above the pool and I am fed up collecting the long this leaves they drop constantly.

Cleared some more of the veg patch and planted enough silverbeet and lettuce to feed an army if they all thrive, thanks to the small plants my neighbour John gave me. In return I gave him some of the cauliflower seedlings I have yet to plant up. I thought I had run out of potting compost but found a bag in the poly tunnel.

Alice is bored and has even resorted to online scrabble which we have been roped into. When we had sat for 30 minutes playing various games, long after I should have been back in the veg plot after lunch, I realised that whether such things are great boredom relief or time-wasters totally depends on your way of life!

Silky chicks in January
I have too many chooks and do not plan to feed them all through the winter. The silky (I have two silky hens) chicks born in early January seem to suddenly be almost full grown which has virtually doubled the size of the flock.

Eric had to do a supermarket run as I forgot dog roll and a few other bits. Sinking Otto's tablets into a piece of dog roll is the easiest way to get his many tablets in him twice a day so managing a week without any was not an option really.

I asked Eric to do some washing up while I was cooking supper then found him swirling items around in the bowl one-handed. I had forgotten about his finger!!

Keto fathead pizza for supper. This is usually a favoured meal but was not my best tonight. First time I put the base in the oven then realised I had missed out two ingredients. It was a disaster so had to remake which still did not come out well. My plate finished up with lots of hard crust on but disgustingly Eric ate all his!!

As of  9am today: New cases 5. Recovered 1,118. Total 1,456. Deaths 18. Matamata cluster total 76 cases.
Tests: yesterday 6,777. Total tests 115,015.

No comments:

Post a Comment